Wednesday, March 03, 2010

HOOKS & VERSES

I was thinking about pop music today. I'm not really sure why. I'm not a huge pop music fan. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of pop artists I enjoy, but I don't necessarily follow the music like some folks might. Now, as I say that, give me a good Michael Jackson, Prince, Boyz II Men, or Mariah Carey tune, and I'm a pretty happy dude!

Anyway, I was thinking about pop music today - particularly about what pop music has come to; catchy hooks sung by people who probably have a good deal of talent but are auto-tuned all to pieces (another topic for another day) can only go so far. That's the part most people listen to...but I know fans of good music, like you, want more than just a catchy hook and some auto-tune.

Let's talk about the verses. It used to be that the verses to songs mattered almost more than the choruses.
Take My Girl for example. Most people know the verses to that song because David Ruffin put such thought and care into crafting each line to a memorable moment. The chorus is memorable in itself, but those verses are where it's at!

Nowadays, it's all about the hook. For instance, I Got A Feelin' by the Black-Eyed Peas. If you know the words to the verses of that tune, I commend you. I am willing to bet, though, that most of America doesn't have a clue. It's all about the hook. "I got a feelin' (woo hoo) that tonight's gonna be a good night..." People know that. Who needs a verse when you've got a hook like that?

Today's pop stars, in my opinion, really need a refresher course (or maybe a beginner course) in the art of singing great verses. I'm of the school of thought that verses are the gateway to the hook. If you only had the opportunity to sing the verses, but not the hook, could you still carry the song? People tend to do their most flashy work during the hook, especially once those pesky verses are done. I find it more impressive if a singer kills a verse...and then kills the hook!

And so I make my appeal to all aspiring pop musicians and songwriters:
BRING BACK THE GREAT VERSES!
It would make life, and music, so much more meaningful.

I'm just sayin'!

Peace, Love, and Dark Chocolate...and great verses

No comments: