Sunday, January 03, 2010

RESET

2009 for me was... er, um... interesting, to say the least. I had some of the greatest life experiences ever, but I also had plenty of difficulties. I mean, I married the woman of my dreams, inherited the most adorable little girl in the world, graduated officially (finally), celebrated my dad's 90th birthday and his 68th year of preaching the gospel, and got to share that same gospel across the U.S., in Canada, and in Brasil! Can't say I'm not blessed!!

However, on our new adventure we experienced all kinds of speed bumps, potholes, road construction, concrete barriers, dead ends. From hurting people to hateful people, broken promises to broken dreams, deep need to deep depression, I found myself searching for...something.

It seems that over the last decade or so, my life-experience pattern has been better in even-numbered years than in odd-numbered. I know that sounds oddly superstitious, but I tend to notice patterns. That doesn't mean it won't be different this year. It could be completely on the opposite end of the spectrum; let's hope not.

So, how does one repair oneself after going through tough stuff? I like to think it all comes down to the "reset button."


Remember when you were a kid playing Super Mario Bros. and you just couldn't defeat the evil Koopa King in order to save Princess Peach? You did the most logical thing - the thing that all kids did - you "accidentally" hit the reset button. Your friends would get so mad because everybody had to start over because you were too selfish to concede to a bunch of losers! Well, now we have an opportunity to hit the reset button on purpose without the threat of wedgies, wet willies, or (my personal least favorite) being frogged in the leg! This is your, and my, chance to start over and live better. This is our chance to reset and refocus. There is absolutely nothing we can do to change history, so why not fix your eyes on the present and prepare for the future? Hopefully, these words will help:

Brothers and sisters, think about the things that are good and worthy of praise. Think about the things that are true and honorable and right and pure and beautiful and respected.
(Phil. 4:8 - NCV)

That's my reset verse. What's yours?

Peace, Love, and Dark Chocolate

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

" It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." Galatians 5:1

Freedom in Christ Jesus.. It is already ours.

i love you now.

Anonymous said...

Thank heavens for new years & new beginnings. After all that has happened in '09, 2010 won't need much to top it.