Wednesday, January 06, 2010

GREAT EXPECTATIONS

No, I'm not writing about the book we had to read in high school. I'm talking about what we have on a daily basis. We expect great things out of life. We expect things to go our way, and our way is... well... great!

I've noticed this expectation thing in myself a lot lately. I expect for the drivers of the cars in front of me to go fast enough for me to not have to ride my brakes - at least the speed limit! I expect my students to understand what I'm trying to teach them in a timely manner. I expect myself to be able to pay the bills and take care of my family without any problems.

Unfortunately, that's not the way life works. Life is where we get behind the slowest drivers when we're running late. Life is when the teacher tries everything he or she knows but the students just don't get it. Life is where the end of the money comes way before the end of the month and panic sets in.

And how upset do we get when our expectations aren't met? When the shoes you wanted are no longer on sale? When your kid comes home drunk? When your life gets flipped upside-down? At the point where disappointment becomes the understatement of the century?

There is only one thing I know that will always meet our expectations and, in fact, go beyond: The love of God. He loves us so much more than we could ever imagine and His love never ends. Whenever we're going through it, God is going through it with us, loving us and wanting us to trust Him. I don't know if He expects us to trust Him, but I do know that that's His desire for us.

What are your expectations?

Peace, Love, and Dark Chocolate

No comments: