Thursday, April 01, 2010

WORDS OF WISDOM

The Purpose of Proverbs

 
1 These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.
2 Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline,
to help them understand the insights of the wise.
3 Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,
to help them do what is right, just, and fair.
4 These proverbs will give insight to the simple,
knowledge and discernment to the young.
Prov. 1:1-4 (NLT)

I have been reading a chapter of Proverbs each day for the past month. I'm going to keep doing this throughout the year in addition to the rest of my reading, whatever that may be. I'm going to read from a different translation each month to keep things kinda fresh and new for me. So, I figure it might be good to share some of the things I learn from my daily readings. This will hold me accountable and give me some insight from other people (if anyone makes comments) about the Word of God and how it applies to our lives. I hope you'll join me on this journey.

Today, it's all about wisdom. The purpose of the Proverbs is to help the reader acquire wisdom. It gives constant encouragement for the reader to seek wisdom (Prov. 1:2). It speaks to us like a dad speaking to his son (Prov. 1:8-19). It calls out to us from the streets like a person trying to help their loved one find his way back home (Prov. 1:20-33).

The majority of the book was written by the wisest man in the world (besides Jesus, of course); he should know what he's talking about. The whole book is common sense stuff that we tend to forget.

So, today's thought is simple: seek wisdom in every way you possibly can. Don't wait. Start now!

Peace, Love, and Wisdom (and Dark Chocolate)
  

No comments: