Wednesday, April 14, 2010

COMFORTED OR COMFORTABLE?

This question has been rattling around in my mind for quite some time now:
Are we supposed to be comforted or comfortable?
Think about this question for a moment. When was the last time you went through something difficult? Loss of a loved one? Financial woes? Bad grade? Betrayal? If you prayed, did you pray for God to comfort you in your time of need, or did you pray for God to make you comfortable?

I know I tend to ask God to make me comfortable. When the money is tight I ask for him to put a job in my hands instead of asking him to help me be a better steward of the money and resources he has given me.
When I'm stressed out about not having enough time to get everything done I ask for him to give me a vacation instead of asking him to help me manage my precious time better.

See where I'm going with this? I would much rather be comfortable than comforted. That's on me, though. I cannot be entitled and spoiled and expect God to bless that type of attitude. Instead, I'm called to be like Jesus, who, even though he was God, thought nothing of himself, but served those around him (Phil. 2). If I learn to serve like Jesus did, and love like he does, then I won't ever think to ask to be comfortable because I'm busy being comforted by the "peace of God, which transcends all understanding" (Phil. 4:7).

So, what do you want to be - comforted or comfortable?

Peace, Love, and Dark Chocolate

No comments: