Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wisdom Of An Eleven-Year-Old

I've been learning a lot and remembering a lot as we've been deep-cleaning our house to try to sell it. Gabby and I have been working together to get this house in tip-top shape while Steph is at work. Today, we were working on the spare room (if you have one, you know what I'm talking about) and we got to a point where we could start scrubbing the baseboards and walls. At one point, Gabby said something that reminded me of the way we live. She said, "This is the best this room has smelled in forever. It always smells like dust but now it smells so clean."

Part of what made this phrase click for me was the fact that I hadn't even finished the first wall yet. I was so tempted to say, "Well, wait till I get finished in here!" But I didn't.

But I thought it.

Then I thought about how messed up we are. Have you ever noticed that the moment we get the slightest relief from whatever painful situation we're facing at the time, we are so quick to say how good life is? The problem is that we have no idea how much better it's going to be. How's that a problem? I'm glad you asked. It's a problem because we like to sell God short and not be patient enough to wait for the finished product.

The moral of the story: "Patience, young Grasshopper." God is up to something way bigger than we know.

Anybody wanna buy our house?

Peace, Love, and...

(wait for it)

Chocolate

(doesn't that feel good?)

No comments: