Thursday, June 11, 2009

Happy Birthday, "Groove Master"

On this date in 1939 my favorite drummer was born. Over his extensive career, he has completely changed the way we listen to music. He is the inventor and innovator of "groove" drumming. His name is Bernard "Pretty" Purdie, also know as the "Groove Master" and today is his 70th birthday!

The reason Bernard Purdie is my favorite drummer is not because of his technical ability (although he is technically sound), or even because of his groove (although he grooves harder than any other drummer on the planet). I love Bernard Purdie because he loves what he does and it shows. I know that sounds a bit cliche, but it is so apparent in the way he approaches music. It's like notes are words and he believes every note he plays. That's how I want to approach the music I make. That's how I want to approach the ministry I do. That's how I want to approach life in general; living like there's no tomorrow and loving every minute of it! Watch the videos below to understand what I'm talking about (since it's his birthday, I decided to give you three for the price of one!).

Here, Bernard "splains" his signature groove, "The Purdie Shuffle."

In "part 2," Purdie shows you how to really feel this groove. Pay special attention to the end of this clip. Classic Bernard Purdie!

This clip gives a very small glimpse into Bernard's career. Listen to his stats. Incredible!


Peace, Love, and Chocolate... and GROOVE!

No comments: