Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A & Q

I figure it's about time for me to answer old questions (really, statements) and ask some new ones (one).

A while back, I posted a list of my favorite music artists and said I would explain why later. Well, it's later, so let's see if I can make this clear yet succint.

5. Acappella - besides being in the group, I have been a big fan since my childhood. I remember when they came to my hometown, Borger, TX back in the mid-eighties, singing Shut De Do with their Miami Vice-ish skinny ties and sunglasses on. That was a turning point in my musical upbringing. Acappella has been a major part of my life ever since.

4. The Temptations - One of the greatest groups to ever sing a love song. They didn't only sing about love, though. They sang about life. They went through all kinds of trials to become (in my opinion) the most popular r&b soul group ever. They revolutionized the way we all listen to music. As a matter of fact, this song was the first song I ever sang to Stephanie. Thank you, Temptations, for pouring your hearts into every note you sang.

3. Tower of Power - Chicago meets the Temptations. In the seventies there was a horn-rock band movement that swept America. Tower of Power emerged from Oakland, California's East Bay and took the world by storm playing their own instruments and singing their own tight harmonies. Unfortunately, however, a lot of their music has been forgotten. I can say from experience that they are the tighest, funkiest, groovin'-est band I've ever seen or heard. Here's some proof:
Soul Vaccination, You Got To Funkifize, Diggin' On James Brown

2. Take 6 - This is, hands down, the best vocal group that has ever existed! The quality of each voice, mixed with the richness in the musical arrangements, and the heart behind all of it makes a legendary style that is often imitated but will never be duplicated.

1. Bobby McFerrin - The single most innovative vocalist in the world. The greatest vocal, non-verbal communicator out there. One of the world's most incredible vocal improvisationalists. In my opinion, simply the best.


So, here's the new trivia question:
What band has the most number 1 records of all times (Josh Graves)?

Peace, Love, and Chocolate

No comments: