Monday, May 25, 2009

For Our Heroes

Today is the day our great country has set aside to honor those who have given their lives to help ensure our freedom. It's sometimes difficult, in today's culture, to look past the immediate and remember history, but that's something I try to do on Memorial Day. There are so many young men and women who have paid the ultimate price in the wars in which we are currently involved. To their families I offer my heart-felt condolances.

My brother, Earnest, fought in Operation Desert Storm in the late eighties and early nineties. I may never forget the day when I was told he had to go to fight. That's not something a freshman in high school who lost his mother the year before really wants to hear. I got in trouble in my algebra class for being so distracted worrying about him. Fortunately, he came home. Unfortunately, he came home with a severe drinking problem as a result of his having to kill. He developed this habit of drinking a few shots of vodka, falling asleep (or passing out) for a few hours, waking up in the middle of the night, taking a few more shots, and passing out again. He would go through a fifth of vodka in just a matter of a couple days. We lost him eight years ago from an enlarged heart caused by a mixture of alcohol and diet pills.

That being said, Ernie was, and still is, a hero of mine because he was willing to give his very life so that you and I could enjoy our freedom. Valor and bravery like that is hard to come by these days. I pray that we raise our children to be courageous and honorable like the men and women of our armed forces. I also pray that our children will be raised in the nurture and admonition of the Lord and that they display all the characteristics of Christ-followers. Big blessings from our Big God!

Peace, Love, and Freedom

No comments: