Tuesday, March 13, 2007

EUROPE: Day 4 (more Florence)

Today I felt more surreal than I have felt in a very long time. It started as a normal day. We woke up early and went to an elementary school to sing for some of the students there. After that, we met up with Tracey Patterson, our outstanding tour guide who is an assistant to Robbie (HUF director) and a great southern girl. Some of you may even know her. A few years ago, she attended regularly the Crossbridge Church where Gary Brantley (Allen's dad) is the preacher. Anyway, she took us to the Accademia museum where we saw several important pieces of art including one of the most famous sculptures ever created -- David. It was everything I imagined and so much more. I can't really describe what it felt like to be in the presence of such greatness in the field of art and history that is known world wide and has been known for centuries. It was truly amazing.

After that, we had lunch at a small hole-in-the-wall restaurant and it was some of the best food I've had in a long time. Then we went to the Uffizzi museum and saw lots of important and beautiful art. That was another great experience that can't be described. We had lots of fun there and took pictures where we could. I hope to share some of them soon.

We left the downtown area and went to the Florence Church of Christ to set up for the concert. It was a fun concert in an intimate setting. The inside of the church building was modeled after the Pantheon in Rome and it was a beautiful building. The acoustics were crazy! Several of the HUF students who were at last night's concert were present at tonight's concert too. They loved it and we love them for that.

After the concert, we ate and fellowshipped together. As we ate, I met a few Texans. Some were HUF students but there was a couple who had 3 small children and the wife grew up in (of all places) Gruver, TX. Gruver is a tiny town of about 1000 people (if that many) in the Panhandle of Texas about 100 miles north of Amarillo. She knows people I worshipped with in Canyon before I joined Acappella and moved away. I'm pretty sure her maiden name is Lanita Burnham but don't ask me what her married name is because I can't remember whatsoever.

We had a great day. Tomorrow, Rome! You've got to pray just to make it today!

Peace, Love, and Chocolate

No comments: