Friday, December 26, 2008

This Christmas

This Christmas is different for me than any other Christmas in my 32 years on this planet. Several reasons. First, it’s my first Christmas with my future (in one week!) in-laws. I never imagined being this close to marriage a year ago, but it’s something that God has done in my life and I’m thankful. Second, it’s my first Christmas outside of Texas (that I know of). It’s odd how traditions are so easily broken when there’s a good reason. I believe that if I had gone to Texas this Christmas, I’d come back to Tennessee more broke than I already am. Providence. Third, it’s my first Christmas in which I don’t get to see my Dad. I’ve always been able to see him on or around Christmas day, but I won’t get to see him until probably April (God willing) because of low fundage, wedding preparation, moving, and plenty of other reasons. I’ll admit. I was really upset when I first realized I wouldn’t see my Dad anymore this year, but I found hope. I found hope in the work I’ve been able to do with the church. Every year, the church where I work does a food / clothing / toy giveaway called “Christmas Blitz” and it was started several years ago by the late Tommy Gill. Shortly before he died, he told me, “Do good things for people and good things will happen for you.” Very similar to a Bible verse that says, “Give and it will be given to you.” That’s what Christmas Blitz is all about. We gather up food, clothing and toys, box it up, and deliver it to area families who are struggling. Some have a little food to get them through the holidays. Some have nothing at all. Steph and I met an elderly couple who is taking care of 2-year-old twin girls who were born prematurely and have had health problems all their lives. That’s got to be nightmarish at times. I can’t imagine being in that situation. But God is faithful. He brought them more than enough food to get through the holiday season, as well as some great toys and gifts for the girls. It reminds me to count my blessings daily. I may have gotten tons of stuff for Christmas. I may have gotten nothing material for Christmas. I’m not discussing that with people. What I will discuss, though, are the huge blessings I received from people who allowed us to give them hope for the holidays and a sense of joy and family. How many people do we know who have no hope or joy or peace or family? You might be surprised when you think about it. So, as we reflect on Christmas time, let’s reflect on the joy that comes from giving and from family. Let’s be in constant prayer for those who can’t be with family or loved ones this holiday season, especially our troops. Blessings to you all, and don’t forget…

ONE WEEK ‘TIL WE TIE THE KNOT!!!

Peace, Love, and Chocolate

No comments: