Tuesday, September 11, 2007

R.A.K.

I've been feeling a bit down lately. I'm not really sure why, though. Maybe it's because my life has become mundane. I get up in the morning, I go to a job that I'm not so sure about, I sing, I go home, I sleep a few hours, I get up in the morning... You get the idea.

Maybe it's because I've forgotten what it feels like to be happy...or is it contentment that I seek? Maybe I'm just not having my daily hug quota filled. Whatever the case, I've been pretty depressed for the past several weeks and I don't like it. It's not the everyday, run-of-the-mill depression. It's more like the can't-get-happy, forgot-how-to-smile, lonely-in-a-crowd, thinking-bad-thoughts (though I would never do anything about them) type of depression. The kind of depression that makes you want to crawl into a hole, curl up, and never see the light of day again. It's pure misery. I insist on being alone as often as possible. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I am normally a very private person. However, when I get invitations to go places and I don't want to go, I always have an excuse handy. That's no way to be. Don't worry, though. I'm okay. I've been through much worse. It's just a phase I have to go endure and I will rise victorious. Please don't be overly concerned.

I was reminded of something last night that might be a life-saver to someone. A very special friend told me about how she and her friend went out and smiled and waved at people. A random act of kindness (r.a.k.). A simple gesture that can have monumental results. She told me about how several people waved back, or at least threw a nod their way. There was an older gentleman who grinned really big and waved as though he were waving at his grandchildren. I firmly believe that in that moment his day was brightened. Someone showed that they cared enough to be kind to him. It's not difficult to smile at someone or give a little wave. I heard somebody say recently that when you're feeling down you should encourage someone else who might be feeling down. You improve your mood when you improve the mood of others. God blesses those who bless others. That's how easy it is. No strings attached. No fuss. No muss. Just simple acts of kindness. Try it sometime. Maybe it'll improve your mood. Who knows? It could even make you smile...which will definitely improve your face value. :)

No comments: