Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Brilliant, Bloody Brilliant: A Magic Moment from Colorado

If you love food like I do, you'll love this post. Growing up with a southern family, I learned at an early age the significance of gravy (if you don't like gravy, I'm not talking to you...and shame on you). It's a well-known fact (and should be a law) that gravy makes the world go round...figuratively speaking, of course. You can put gravy on most anything and improve the quality of the dish tenfold. That's the nature of gravy. Its function, if you will. Gravy is good. Then, if you add stuff to said gravy, like meat, the improvement is improved tenfold, making for some serious improvement. It's magical, really.

For the past several years, I've prided myself in making really good breakfast burritos. I have a certain recipe I created by experimentation (and I change it pretty much every time I make the burritos). Usually, when people eat my breakfast burritos, their taste buds are satisfied and they become closer friends with me...or at least they want to. I mean, what's better than eggs, bacon, chorizo, and cheese wrapped in a tortilla? Not much, I should guess (if you don't like breakfast burritos, I'm not talking to you either...and again, shame on you).

Now, imagine this scenario. Let's say we have 2 guys who are roommates and they are eating breakfast together one fine spring morning. We'll name one Fred and the other Earl. I don't know why Fred and Earl, but I also don't know why it has to be a fine spring morning, so it doesn't really matter, does it? Anyway, Fred has a tasty breakfast burrito and Earl is enjoying some biscuits and sausage gravy. They both want to eat each other's food but they want to eat their own as well. They both have a little left over (big breakfast) so Earl gets the bright idea, or maybe it was Fred, to pour some of the gravy on the burrito. BRILLIANT!!! You've got your breakfast burrito that tastes great alone. You've got your gravy that, as I stated earlier, makes the world go round. Putting these two elements together has just unleashed a new breakfast beast that cannot, and will not, be tamed. Thank you Fred and Earl!

How do I know so much about this magical concoction? Because I witnessed its power firsthand. We ate breakfast at Lois' Place in Grand Junction, CO. It was there that I partook in the goodness that is the Country Burrito. I was so awestruck I couldn't sit still. I went on and on about the plate of magic I was eating until I succeeded in annoying everyone within a 10 ft. radius. I didn't care, though. The world needed to know about the taste enlightenment I was experiencing. That's why I wrote this blog. I felt like I needed to continue sharing the joy I had. I will continue to share it with all who will give an ear. It's that important to me. Maybe you can experience it too. Or maybe you already have and you haven't told me about it yet. If you're that person, once again, shame on you!

1 comment:

C. A. Stone said...

Hahaha! That does sound like a good idea. If the sheer awe of it doesn't kill you, there's enough protein, lipids, and carbs to last a person the whole morning of hard labor. I would hate to try it at night lest I gain ten pounds in one setting, but gee wiz, I'm going to try it some soon (not so springtime) morning before work!