Monday, March 27, 2006

Things I Learned in Tulsa

Hey everybody! This past weekend, I was at the Tulsa International Soul-Winning Workshop. I had a great time but I found myself disappointed or frustrated from time to time. My reasoning is that I was expecting to go to lots of classes and hear lots of speakers talk about church unity and brotherhood and love and stuff like that. I was gonna be encouraged like I hadn't been in a very long time. It was supposed to be a "life-changing" experience for me. Didn't happen that way. Since it was my first time at the workshop, I didn't really have a clue what I was getting myself into. I spent most of my time at the Acappella booth or trying to get ready for the next event, whatever that event was. I didn't get to go to one class at all. I was so irritated! After it was all over, we went to worship Sunday morning and got to lead a few worship songs along with Watershed. Then Jerry Taylor from Abilene Christian University gave one of the best sermons I've heard in a long time. He talked about vision. He talked about our vision versus God's vision and how inferior we are. He talked about us making sure our vision is clear before we start checking on other folk's vision. He made me realize that I need to be more careful when looking at people so that I don't judge them. I was encouraged by his sermon but I was more encouraged by Watershed. We got to eat lunch with them after the worship service and had the best time I'd had in a long time. I'm sure I can safely speak for the other guys when I say that we were truly blessed by the Watershed guys and their families. They are some of the coolest guys to hang around with. We have become fast friends with them and I'm looking forward to spending more time with them (maybe we can do some more events together if we get booked together....hint hint!). The other thing I realized is that by being a blessing to others, God blesses you more than you know. We saw thousands of people over the course of the week and I noticed how much a smile can mean to some folk. Sometimes people just need to be spoken to. I saw so many people whose days were brightened by a simple "hi, how's it goin'?". The trick is...get this...are you ready? Listen to them when they answer. I know, novel concept, but so effective. When you're engaged in what other people are saying or doing, you're blessing them with your presence. That's not an arrogant idea. God put so many of us here so that we can look out for each other and bless each other by being near each other. That nearness, be it physical, emotional, or spritual, helps us to draw nearer to God and his infinite mercy and grace. I really said all that to invite you (and myself) to encourage one another and everyone with whom you come in contact. You might notice your day get a little better!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really agree with you about engaging with people as you speak with them. This is something I need to work on. The song "Be Devoted" came to my mind as I read your words. It reminds me how much of an example we should be through our love and actions. Sorry you weren't able to hear some of the speakers. I was at the workshop and your music was a great encouragement to me. Thank you for the work you do.

Anonymous said...

Robin, i realize you wanted to attend some classes, but being in the spot light might keep you from doing those things... in five years, i attended my first class at tulsa... people want to hear and see you guys, and it is good for them to do so... sometimes being in the spotlight keeps you from doing what you want to do but it also excites others when seeing you.... so you touched lives by being at the booth...

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin,
I met you in Tulsa this weekend and know that I was greatly encouraged by you guys. I sang on the praise team sunday and Garnett and I agree Jerry did a great job. We really need to stop looking to the world for affirmation and look to God. I am also really encouraged by "Radiance" It could possibly be my favorite CD so far. I love you main song "Sancity my heart" Tell Keith that he did an incredible job writing these songs. They are really encouraging.

Renee Lewis said...

Robin,
I was at Tulsa this weekend working a Harding booth. I couldn't agree more with you about being disappointed. We had to work a lot too. I'll tell you though, it sure was encouraging seeing you guys around. You did a great job! The show Friday night was great, and I can't wait to see you guys at Uplift this summer! In Christ, Renee

C. A. Stone said...

Hey Robin! This is Crystal. I really enjoyed meeting y'all in Tulsa. You really were a blessing to me and I appreciate just letting me hang around and helping out. Oh! This morning in Bible class, we were covering Hebrews and the professor read Hebrews 1:1-4. I was listening to Radiance earlier that morning and yeah, I almost broke out singing right then and there. But he moved on to another chapter and I figured I ought to follow along. God bless, Robin! Tell the others I said howdy even if they don't remember me. And I look forward to seeing all y'all again!

HeartMan said...

Robin,
Great show in Henderson, TX last night. You guys rocked the house! I had my 6 year old daughter with me. I think Acappella has a new fan!

Keep up God's good work.

"HeartMan"