Monday, October 05, 2009

My Resilient Heritage

Today is an important day in the Brannon family. On this day, October 5, 1941, my dad, B. C. Brannon preached his first sermon. He is the only person I know of who has been a preacher for 68 years and is still at it! Although his health is not as steady as it once was, he still manages to find the motivation to study every day and prepare two sermons for each Sunday. I was beginning to wonder if he would be able to preach any more after coming down with pneumonia around his 90th birthday back in April, but my doubts were proven wrong in August. I haven't gotten to hear him preach since early last year, but I know he still "brings it" every time.


For those of you who know some of the history of the Churches of Christ, especially black churches, you know the name Marshall Keeble. Dad was baptized by Marshall Keeble back in 1939 and began studying to be a preacher at Keeble's seminary in Fort Smith, AR.


B. C. Brannon is my hero. He has been considered a great evangelist, a pioneer in the black Churches of Christ, and (most importantly) my dad. I am so proud of my dad and the legacy he is leaving for me. Someone who is determined to keep telling the Good News of Jesus until he is physically and/or mentally unable to do so will always have my utmost respect and admiration.

Even though there are only about seven people who attend services there on a regular basis, I will always have a certain fondness for the Jim Hall Street Church of Christ. It was the church where I grew up. It was where I made the decision to follow Jesus. It was where I was baptized. More importantly, it was where I saw my daddy at work week in and week out, teaching people about the God he knows and loves.


I hope to see Dad's name on this marquis for many more years. I pray he reaches at least 70 years in the pulpit. I would love to be in full time ministry at least half of the time he has been in it. Dad taught me what it means to never give up. I hope to live out that lesson!

Peace, Love, and Chocolate

2 comments:

Tim H said...

I envy you, in that you have a wonderful family legacy within the church. Your dad's story encourages me to instill that legacy in my family, my children and thier children to come. As Hebrews 12:1 says, I hope for, as all should, a family "surrounded by a great cloud of witnesses" to cheer us on as we "run with perseverance the race marked out for us".

Robin said...

Tim-

Thanks for your very kind words of encouragement. I hope and pray that more people leave a legacy like my dad's, but more importantly, that the Kingdom of God is increased because of it!