Wednesday, October 22, 2008

More Tragedy

I'm sure some of you have heard about this, but most of you have not. Even so, I have bad news. As most of you know, I taught in Texas before I moved to Nashville. One of the schools I taught was Amarillo High School. At AHS, I had a student named Marc Schoch (sounds like 'shook'). Marc was one of my best students when he was in high school. He always worked hard, took instruction well, and made great improvement on a daily basis. I received a phone call yesterday that Marc's roommate at Texas Tech University found him dead in his dorm room from an apparent suicide.

Marc is the second one of my students who has lost their life in the past month. Debra Ortiz was a band member in Canyon, TX when I was an assistant band director there. She was killed in a terrible car wreck on her way to Amarillo College (as a freshman) September 29th. I didn't work as closely with Debra as I did with Marc, but she was a fantastic student and a beautiful individual.

Please, pray for the Schoch family and all the people who knew and loved Marc that we will find some peace and comfort in this unmentionably tragic time. Also, pray for the Ortiz family and Debra's loved ones as they still mourn.

Shalom

Romans 15:13 - May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sir! I don't know you, but I knew Marc. Him and I played together in a band here in Lubbock. We actually played together only a few days ago.

I heard he was found dead somewhere else...much more tragic, in fact.

So sad. :'(

God bless!

Anonymous said...

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/102308/obi_obit3.shtml

Anonymous said...

Audrey - are you referring to "No Fences"? I'm Marc's cousin - we weren't close but it's a horrific tragedy nonetheless! I can say I've never felt this kind of loss, this close to the heart.

Unknown said...

Mr. Brannon

Marc was in the band, No Fences, with me. Although I play guitar in this band, I am a fellow percussionist as well... On a road trip a couple of weeks ago we were sharing stories about the influential teachers of our past and Marc mentioned your name. He had many great things to say about you as you did about him in your blog. I'm glad I came across your page. Come by our MySpace page to hear recordings of the band, all of which Marc played on.

Take care.

Unknown said...

Robin-

Thank you so much for your kind words about Debra. I didn't expect to see anything written about her on your blog but it is just showing me how many lives my sister had touched. Thank you once again and God bless!!

Diana Ortiz

Anonymous said...

Thank you for saying such kind things about Marc. He is greatly missed. We know that Jesus Christ is Savior, and we trust in Him and his saving grace and mercy.